An idiosyncratic and non sequitorial examination of the contents of one head.

Wednesday, April 14, 2004

webcomics and windex

I wake up in the afternoon and tell myself "Today I will not read any webcomics."
And then a few hours later I am wondering:
What's happening to Ariel at www.queenofwands.net ?
Has Aubrey beaten anyone else up at www.somethingpositive.net?
Is there a new journal comic entry at www.keaner.net/journal.html?

And there I am reading webcomics. Following links to other webcomics. *guilt*
Of course I have to take time and read the whole archive... *more guilt*

The first journal comic I encountered was the journal comic by Drew Weing www.drewweing.com/journalcomic. I was blown away. Wow. It was funny and touching and real. In his hands the ordinary moments of a life became unspeakably beautiful. It made me feel less alone in the world.

I have this idea - that everyone else's life is like a windex commercial - "Put on a Windex Shine" - that everyone else in the world goes to sleep at a decent hour, flosses regularly, gets plenty of fiber, and sends their Christmas cards out the day after Thanksgiving - that remembering to get the recyling bin to the curb on the right day and eating square meals are a prerequisite to a virtuous life. Sometimes I think it is the secret to happiness. If I did the daily stuff I'm supposed to, my life would be a windex commercial and I would be virtuous and happy.

I tried it once. I cleaned my room, I flossed, ate semi-balanced meals, mailed in my warranty forms, and read the fine print on official documents that came in the mail. It sucked. It was nothing like an windex commercial. It's what grown ups do though. Right? Whether it's fun of not.

No comments: