An idiosyncratic and non sequitorial examination of the contents of one head.

Friday, April 09, 2004

I love Charlie Rose

If I could have anyone's job I would want to do the Charlie Rose show. And do it exactly the way he does it.

Wynton Marsalis said on Charlie Rose Tuesday:
"The Sound is the foundation. The sound is your identity. Before the sound is the breath and the breath is like the thought and the sound is like the word. So when you purify the breath you purify the sound - for wind players 'cause we breathe. *inhales* *exhales* Sometimes I'll be teachin' class and I can tell that a kid - before they even play I just hear the breath
*shakes head smiling* *waves hand*
oh no no no the breath is not right. You purify the breath. You purify the thought and to get deeper in the sound and you can get more nuances and colors and shadings in the sound."

It's true for singers too. You think the note - hear it inside your head. Take a breath and you let the note out with the air. In that act you shape the sound in our case with the word.

He talked about jazz the meaning and the mission and the culture of jazz. And strangely, I realized while listening to him helped me to realize the value and meaning of a scientific education.

No comments: