An idiosyncratic and non sequitorial examination of the contents of one head.

Thursday, May 27, 2004

DC comics = evil

When I was a youth, my mother would drag me to the mall and sometimes I could convince her to let me hang out at the bookstore while she shopped. It was there that I found a comic book called Elfquest. I discovered it in full color condensed graphic novel form. The drawings were beautiful. The characters were vibrant and the story had adventure, friendship, humor, magic, love and conflict. It was excellent. Periodically I check up on the series. In later editions the coloring was not so great. The old edition had very warm tones while the later color editions were decidedly more blue. then the books got smaller and they were in black and white. The stories and characters continued to be compelling.

And today at Pages For All Ages I see that DC has picked up the title, released it in black and white and shrunk the book down to the size of a postage stamp! You can barely make out the pictures, they are very muddy looking. How can you expect new readers to fall in love with this story if you don't present it in a format where the art can be properly appreciated? DC has done some very good things comic-wise. This is not one of them. I am so disappointed.

No comments: