An idiosyncratic and non sequitorial examination of the contents of one head.

Friday, October 22, 2004

small pleasures

I made a flyer on my laptop, printed it out on my printer and took it to Kinko's and made a stack of flyers and handbills. (Did you know that the copy machine can take your 8.5x11 sheet and reduce it to fit 4x's to a page and become instant handbills??!!! Brilliant. With this knowledge you do not have to go ghetto-lo-tech with the scissors and tape and the wasted bits of paper which is fun but time consuming with a final product lacking the precision of Xerox automation.)

It does give me pause to consider how technology has enabled a unskilled amateur with no graphical or artistic talent like me to make a flyer. It does give me pause to think about how much dead plant matter and electricity I used. All those beautiful trees that are now my less-beautiful flyers. The dark lining to a silver cloud I guess. Setting these uncomfortable thoughts aside for the moment, I LOVE having a laptop and a printer. It is ridiculous how pleased I am. I had no idea that it could be this simple to become this happy. To be fair the acquisition of the proper drawing program made all the difference. If I had known that the key to happiness was so small I would have gotten a laptop and printer years ago.

No comments: